Field Guide to Buying vs. Renting
Is it better to Buy or Rent? Whether renting is better than buying depends on many factors. The information listed here will assist you in helping answer this question. Included are statistics and studies on homeowners and renters as well as financing options and tips. (M. Glick, Senior Information Specialist)
Rent-to-Own Deals: Smart Questions to Ask...
- Who will tend to the property and pay for routine maintenance?
- Who pays for major repairs?
- What are the costs of setting up and managing an escrow account for the portion of rent allotted to the down payment?
- Will you manage the property yourself, or hire an agent?
- What if the renters change their minds? Who keeps the money in the escrow account?
- If the buyers change their minds, what will be required to put the property back on the market?
- How much of the rent is going to the down payment?
- How locked in are you if you change your mind?
- What will it cost you to get out of the deal?
- How long will it take to accumulate enough of a down payment that you are likely to qualify for a mortgage?